Category: Archive

Boston GAA McAnespies outduel Cork

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Connie Kelly

McAnespies 2-8, Cork 0-9

Aiden McAnespies and Cork took several minutes to feel each other out, with McAnespies piling on the pressure. Nigel Regan was wide off the mark three times in six minutes before he found his range, and when he did he had three points from play in the 7th, 18th and 20th minutes.

Brendan Healy got Cork going with a lovely point after five minutes, followed by their ace scorer, Michael Cronin, who had two points, in the 10th and 15th minute. Padraig Griffin was sent through by Frank Delaney for Cork’s fourth and last point of the half on the 17th minute. Cork’s newcomer, Anthony Lynch, was giving Peter Canavan a hard afternoon and Canavan could only manage a point from a free in the 25th minute to leave it 4-all at halftime.

Cork came out attacking early in the second half, but goalie Nobby Walsh made a brilliant save at the expense of a 50, which came to nothing for Cork. John Barry got Cork’s first point after eight minutes, followed by Kieran Connolly’s point two minutes later to make it 0-6 to 0-4. John Rennicks had McAnespies first point in the 11th minute, but Michael Cronin got one back for Cork when Bernie Alcock drove a long ball from the back line. Martin Harvey combined with Paddy Stones to send Nigel Regan in for a well-taken point to make it 0-7 to 0-6 after 20 minutes. Peter Canavan sent one over from a free to tie it up again at 0-7 each.

Then the floodgates opened. Canavan had a well-taken goal two minutes later and Nigel Regan had the ball back in the net on the next kick-out. Michael Cronin won two late frees for Cork, sending both over, but it was Peter Canavan who would send over the last point of the game from a free as time ran out.

Follow us on social media

Keep up to date with the latest news with The Irish Echo

Notre Dame 2-10, St. Pat’s 0-9

Notre Dame playing with a strong breeze in the first half were on the board with a Sean Casey free after two minutes in this intermediate football contest. Brian Fitzsimmons added another point from play a minute later. St. Pat’s had three chances to score from frees but were off the mark when Paudi O’Keefe ran onto a good pass and sent it over to make it 0-3 to 0-0 after 10 minutes. It was here that manager Rory Kelly asked his team to lift their game. Cyril Wallace answered the call at centerfield and dominated for long periods. Mickey Joe Hynes had the Pats on the board with an 11th minute free followed two minutes later with a point from play. Wallace sent Ronan Goulding through for Pats third point on the 15th minute to make it 0-3 each. A minute later Mickey Joe was on the attack again sending over his third point and the lead for St. Pat’s.

Momentum was now in their favor, but the Pat’s Tom Shevlyn took a knock in the eye and went off, replaced by Paul Blessing with 10 minutes remaining in the half. Mickey Gribbon got things going for Notre Dame and if it were not for some solid work by James O’Donoghue the scoreline would have been much different. As it was Notre Dame had to settle for a point from a free by Sean Casey to make it 0-4 each at halftime.

The second half was close all the way, with points for St. Pats coming from Ronan Goulding (5 mins), Kieran O’Shea (7 mins), Mickey Joe (8 mins free) and Hynes again from play. Scores for Notre Dame came from Mickey Gribbon from a free. Gribbon was back for another point from play, 16th minute, Shane Mullen 20th minute, and when Sean Casey sent over a free in the 21st minute, it was 0-8 each. Casey had Notre Dame ahead with a second free in the 24th minute.

Pa’ts had their backs to the wall with time running out. They gave up a penalty but Emmett Murphy made a great save and within four minutes Cyril Wallace had Mickey Joe Hynes on the attack again sending over the equalizer with two minutes of regular time and injury time left . Both teams would have settled for a draw, but some messing in the Pat’s back line resulted in two very fast goals for Notre Dame by Denis Meehan and Mickey Gribbon. Anthony Ford put one over for Notre Dame well into injury time.

Man of the match was Mickey Joe Hynes and Cyril Wallace had the game of his life.

Other Games

The Killes walked over Connemara Gaels by 4-15 to 1-9. The third football game was a bit closerm, with Shannon Blues beating Mayo by 1-14 to 1-8.

In Ladies football, Tir na nOg had a 2-4 to 1-2 lead over Roscommon at halftime and could only add one point in the second half. Roscommon kept the pressure on in the second half and scored 1-3 to make it 2-5 all.

In Camogie, Boston split a pair with New York in two very one-sided games. Boston Emerald Isle scored 6-9 to New York Breffni Blues’ 0-2, while Young Irelands of New york beat Eire Og, 2-10 to 0-5.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese