Category: Archive

Chicago GAA Quinlan’s heroics sace Cu Chulainn

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Eamonn Kelly

Ch Chulainn 1-10, Harry Bolands 1-2

The opportunism of Cu Chulainn’s first-half substitute, wing forward Phillip Quinlan (Tipperary), who finished with a goal and two points, was responsible for turning defeat into victory with a goal in stoppage time at Gaelic Park last Sunday.

It was another great Guinness senior hurling game but a heartbreaking loss for Harry Bolands, who led throughout regulation time and were slightly the better team. Due to a solid performance by center-back Noel Larkin and excellent shooting by Liam Hogan, the Bolands managed to keep their opponents at arms length for most of the game.

But Cu Chulainn had a tremendous rally when all seemed lost. Hogan’s attempt to tie the game failed when his 70-yard stroke just went wide of the post before the referee blew the final whistle.

Bolands ran out to a 0-5 to 0-1 lead. Only after the introduction of Quinlan in the second quarter were Cu Chulainn able to make an impact. As in previous weeks, the highlights of the game were provided by both goalkeepers. Cu Chulainn’s Brendan McNamara was brilliant between the post, securing a shutout, while Jonsey Murphy, who could not be faulted for the winning goal, was equally brilliant.

Never miss an issue of The Irish Echo

Subscribe to one of our great value packages.

Boland’s started off the faster and more aggressive side and were rewarded with two points from Liam Hogan. After 8 minutes Cu Chulainn registered their first score when Kilkennyman, Ollie O’Connor sent the ball over the bar. However, Boland’s maintained their dominance and points from Hogan and Noel Larkin advanced their lead to 5 points well into the second quarter.

Quinlan and Hogan exchanged points just before the halftime whistle to give Boland’s a 4-point interval lead.

Cu Chulainn’s Eddie Brady (Galway), who was curtailed by a strong Bolands defense in the first half, opened the scoring within moments of the second half throw-in. That was followed by a point from Quinlan to narrow the gap to 2. Peter Huban and David Martin exchanged points before Dublin intercounty player Jamsie Brennan pointed to restore Cu Chulainn’s 3-point lead. Brady and Hogan scored two marvelous points to maintain a 3-point gap. In a rousing third quarter both teams continued to exchange points with the Boland’s enjoying a two point lead going into stoppage time. When all seemed lost for Cu Chulainn, Quinlan gained possession close to the Boland’s goal to slam home the winner.

Wolfe Tones 1-13, Padraig Pearse 1-11

Strengthened with the inclusion of Stephen Lawn and Gary Mason, Padraig Pearse senior footballers failed in their efforts to gain two very valuable points from Chicago and National champions, Wolfe Tones, who were sailing to a 4-point victory before Gary Mason converted a penalty for Padraig Pearse just before the final whistle.

As in previous games, Monaghan kicking ace Rory Mone was the main contributor to Wolfe Tones win. He scored nine points, most from placed balls, but he required constant surveillance by the defense. Stephen Law, particularly in the first half, was very effective for the Pearse when accounting for five of their seven points in the first period.

Meathman, Eamonn Gibney opened the scoring for the Tones with a lovely point in the opening moments and then Law illustrated his talent with three fine points to give Padraig Pearse a 2-point lead. Mone followed up with his shooting expertise to tie the game with two well-taken points. Pearse went on the offensive, scoring three consecutive points by Tom Gee, Lawn and Kevin Barrett. That lead was short lived, however, as John Kerley blasted to the net from close range to tie the game. Mone and Mason exchanged points before the half-time whistle sounded and both went to the dressing rooms tied a 1-4 to 0-7. Mone and Claffey exchanged points to keep the game level, but the Tones began to get the upper hand in the late stages of the second half.

St. Brendan’s 2-19, Parnells 3-9

What seemed in the first half to be heading for a St. Brendan’s cakewalk turned into a rousing second half as Parnells fought back magnificently from an 11-point interval deficit. In a boring slow paced first half, St. Brendan’s were in complete control, scoring 2-9 while confining their opponents to a meager 0-4. Before the end of the first quarter they raced into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead, with the goal coming from John McDonald and points scored by Brendan O’Connor (2) and Martin Delaney. Parnells got on the score board following points by Sean Kenny and Kevin Madden. Peader McGrane goaled for the Brendan’s followed by points by O’Connor and Delaney before Madden and Pat Harold pointed for Parnells at the end of the half.

The game continued to deteriorate on the turnover as O’Connor added two more points, putting 13 points between the teams. Then came the great Parnells revival. During a 15-minute period in which they enjoyed complete control, they scored 3-3 without reply and narrowed the gap to just 2. Their goals came from Madden, Garreth Fitzsimmons and Peter McCann.

Padraig Pearse 0-12, John McBrides 1-5

After a boring first half which saw Padraig Pearse leading McBrides, 0-5 to 0-3, the game came to life midway through the second half when the players lifted the level of commitment. John Moore was the dominant figure throughout, scoring 7 points. His shooting opponent on the McBrides team also made his mark, finishing with a total of 1-2. Padraig Pearse took an early 3-point lead with points coming from Moore, Mossey Lyons and John Sheridan. McBrides rallied late in the half getting scores from McDonagh and Joe Lyons before Moore pointed to give the Pearse a 2-point interval lead. Moore stretched the lead to four points early in the second half, but a penalty goal by McDonagh narrowed the gap to a single point. Despite being reduced to 12 men going into the last quarter, Padraig Pearse regained control getting points from Moore and Sheridan to gain a deserved 4-point victory.

St. Brendan’s 1-11, Parnells 2-3

Although trailing at halftime by a point, 1-3 to 2-1, St. Brendan’s never seemed in danger of losing this Junior Football contest. Parnells broke for a well-executed goal by Gerry Kenny to start the scoring. After Neil Twomey gave Parnells a 4-point lead with a fine point, Joe Keane responded with a similar score to open up St. Brendan’s account. They then took the lead following a point from Owen Collery and a goal by Noel McDermott. Just before halftime Parnells regained the lead when Frankie Sheridan converted a penalty. A fine third quarter display by Frankie Slane contributed to St. Brendan’s regaining their superiority.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese