OLDEST IRISH AMERICAN NEWSPAPER IN USA, ESTABLISHED IN 1928
Category: Archive

Crackdown on deadly Queens roadway

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Pierce O’Reilly

Irish residents of Queens say police plans to crack down on speeders on Queens Boulevard are long overdue.

It is believed that 72 people have been killed trying to cross the road in the last eight years. Queens Boulevard runs through the heart of the Irish community. Residents have long campaigned for a tougher police response.

A police spokesman said last week that planned improvements to seven miles of road will be brought forward by more than a year. It is also expected that additional police will be assigned by the end of the month. The improvement plan includes median fencing to deter jaywalkers. A camera is also to be installed, while traffic police are expected to issue more tickets.

"Cars are breaking every rule in the book, as they speed down that road," said resident Ann Marie Scanlon. "How many more victims does it take for the authorities to react?"

The latest Irish victim to be seriously injured on Queens Boulevard was Enda Reilly. The Longford man was found battered against the roadside on Dec. 15 after he was apparently hit by a car. His family said his condition is improved but that he won’t leave

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Elmhurst Hospital until February.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese