Category: Archive

GAA Roundup Red-hot Wicklow footballers win another

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Mark Jones

There was a limited return to intercounty action last weekend with four games in Division 2A of the National Football League and Wicklow picked up where they left off with another win.

This time Louth were on the receiving end at Drogheda as Wicklow made it four victories from four starts with a convincing 0-9 to 0-5 success. In fact, if some of Wicklow’s shooting hadn’t been rusty following the mid-winter break, the margin would have been much greater.

In a tighter contest, 10 wides would have cost them dearly, but the points scoring of Trevor Doyle and Damien McMahon was enough in the end. Louth, for their part, are still not out of the promotion race, with three wins from five games.

Kerry kept pace with Wicklow at the top following their expected 3-16 to 0-3 demolition of Kilkenny at Ballyragget. However, the Kingdom have played a game more.

Westmeath were impressive 3-12 to 0-8 winners over Limerick in Athlone, while London missed out on their first points of the campaign when they were pipped 1-12 to 0-12 by Antrim at Casement Park.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

In Connacht, Roscommon booked their place in the final of the provincial football league with a hard fought 0-10 to 0-8 victory over Sligo at Boyle. Sligo now meet All Ireland champions, Galway, to decide who plays Roscommon in the decider.


The Tipperary hurlers made it eight matches unbeaten under manager Nicky English when they defeated Waterford by 1-16 to 2-8 in a fiercely contested Southeast League final at Walsh Park. More than 6,000 spectators saw dual star Declan Browne make the difference with a vital 1-3.

Laois qualified for the Walsh Cup final with a highly impressive 3-17 to 0-6 win over an understrength Offaly and they will now meet Wexford who got the better of Kilkenny by 1-10 to 0-9.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese