Category: Archive

Mayo kick off Sam with easy Gaelic Park win over Apple

February 17, 2011

By Staff Reporter

Three Mayo natives playing for New York combined well to generate the next score. First, captain Robbie Moran fielded well and released a good ball to full forward Declan Reilly who was fouled. John McNicholas extended New York’s lead with the resultant free. Further pressure resulted in Mayo’s full back Ger Cafferkey being penalized for over carrying. Robbie Moran pointed the free and now New York were ahead by 4 points with five minutes gone. As events would transpire, that was their best spell, and the tide began to turn as midfielders McGarrity and Parsons got a stranglehold in the center of the park. They began to pump long balls into the big men on the full forward line. Results came quickly as both Morans, Andy and Barry, hit the target. On a counter attack, Francie Cleary was fouled close to the side line and end line. Robbie Moran split the posts with the free to lift New York’s spirits again, but unfortunately, not for long. Mayo now stepped up the pace as Pat Harte found his A game as he sent a long ball into Aodan O’Shea. The towering teenager fielded well in front of the goal, only to be fouled. Then the secondary school prodigy pointed the resultant free.
All the action was now in Mayo’s offensive zone as captain Mortimer set up midfielder Parsons for their next point. The busy Allan Dillon began to find his niche as he linked up well with O’Shea for the latter to register another point and tie up the score at 19 minutes. Dillon was on target two minutes later to edge Mayo ahead, courtesy of a good pass from McGarrity. A minute later, McGarrity rose majestically in a thicket of players to powerfully knock the ball down into the path of Pat Harte. The New York defense appeared to be AWOL as he sped through the middle to fire a great shot to the net. The dam had now burst as well as New York’s bubble as Dillon and Andy Moran sauntered in for easy scores. New York were in disarray despite the introduction of substitutes Alan Carolan and Gary Dowd. McGarrity soloed in from midfield for a point while wing back Peadar Gardiner saw his effort bounce over the bar due to uncertainty and miscommunication in the New York rear guard.
A further defensive disaster occurred as Pat Harte intercepted a pass intended for a Big Apple defender who was waiting for the ball to arrive. The adage that he who hesitates is lost was certainly very apt as Harte stole the ball and released it to O’Shea, and the twines were rattling again. Indeed the situation appeared to be going from bad to worse but thankfully Evan Byrne came to the rescue with one of several great saves to deny O’Shea another goal just before the break. Mayo went in ahead by 2-10 to 5 points at the short whistle.
On the resumption of play, Andy Moran set up Trevor Mortimer for a point. At the other end, Paddy Smith tested keeper Clarke but the Mayo net minder smothered the shot well. Mayo continued to swarm forward as Parsons and Mortimer set up defender Vaughan for a goal chance. However Joe Bell bore the brunt of the piledriver as it ricocheted away from the goal, and New York supporters breathed a sigh of relief. Mayo still remained goal hungry as keeper Byrne was forced to execute another fine save to keep a Barry Moran shot out but Alan Dillon fisted over the deflection. Harte was on target before Paddy Smith ended New York’s long drought with a fine long range effort ten minutes into the period. New York’s best forward Smith would hit the target again but not before Andy Moran chipped in with two for Mayo. The intensity of the game had dropped considerably though Mayo continued to have the lion’s share of possession. New York’s attack spluttered sporadically as Ronan Caffrey and Francie Cleary registered points. As the game wore on and with victory well assured, Mayo resorted to giving their bench a run out but it didn’t lessen their appetite for goals, despite the magnitude of their lead. Substitute Kilcoyne got his name on the scoring sheet before Mortimer hit a rocket at keeper Byrne but once again, he saved well. Further points were added by Kilcoyne and Mortimer while a late surge by Gary Dowd saw his shot come back off the upright. The inrushing Tommy McGovern’s shot just shaved the crossbar for New York’s last score. It was left to Aodan O’Shea to finish the scoring and conclude a game that was never in doubt after the first few minutes. Mayo will be happy that they went away with a relatively easy but totally expected victory. However their mentors will be concerned about the number of bad wides from unforced errors, especially in the second half. Though New York were obviously hammered on the scoreboard, they certainly didn’t flinch or throw in the towel. Evan Byrne and Paddy Smith were New York’s best, while Conor Hunter, Dermot Keane, and Johnny Goldrick never gave up.
Mayo: David Clarke, Liam O’Malley, Ger Cafferkey, Kevin McLoughlin, Peadar Gardiner (0-1), Trevor Howley, Donal Vaughan, Tom Parsons (0-1), Ronan McGarrity (0-1), Pat Harte (1-1), Trevor Mortimer (0-2), Alan Dillon (0-3), Andy Moran (0-4), Aodan O’Shea (1-3), Barry Moran (0-1)
Subs: David Heaney, James Nallen, B.J. Padden, Aiden Kilcoyne (0-2), Michael Sweeney
New York: Evan Byrne, Joe Bell, Aidan Downes, Conor Hunter, Dermot Keane, Alan Raftery, Brendan O’Reilly, Robbie Moran (0-2), Ronan Garvey, John McNicholas (0-1), Paddy Smith (0-4), Kevin McGeeney, John Goldrick, Declan Reilly, Francie Cleary (0-1)
Subs: Alan Carolan, Gary Dowd, Shane Carty, Ronan Caffrey, Tommy McGovern (0-1)
Man of the Match: Evan Byrne
Referee: Rory Hickey (Clare)

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese