Category: Archive

NACB Roundup Pearse rediscover winning ways

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Eamonn Kelly

Padraig Pearse 2-8, Parnells 0-8

After two successive losses, Padraig Pearse managed their first North American Board senior football championship win of the season with a hard fought victory over Parnells at Gaelic Park last Sunday.

The Pearse appeared to display a little more determination and direction than in their previous games and just about deserved their victory. More improvement may be required to equal the fare we saw served up by Wolfe Tones and St. Brendan’s the previous Sunday. Foundation of their victory was laid with a fine performance from their full forward, Ken Claffey, who ended up with a personal tally of 2-2. Another contributor was free taker Vinney Cawley, who converted four free kicks at vital stages of the second half.

Parnells were always in this game with a chance to succeed. After trailing by only two points going into the second period, they appeared to dominate proceedings but sent many shots wide that should have resulted in scores. Their only forward that let very few opportunities go to waste was corner forward Ken Madden, who notched five points in the second half.

Parnells started in great style and were soon on the scoreboard when Sean Kenny sent over a spectacular point. Several minutes later a converted free tied the game for Padraig Pearse before Claffey scored a great goal to give the Pearse a 3-point lead. After Peter McCann narrowed the gap to 2 points Parnells dominated but failed to score. Just before the interval, Tom Gee, who was having a fine game at centerfield, scored a nice point in the 25th minute to give Padraig Pearse a deserving 1-2 to 0-2 lead at the interval.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

After an exchange of points on the turnover, Madden put just two points between the sides with two well-executed scores. However, disaster struck the Parnells defense, a unit that was enjoying their best period of the season, when Martin O’Grady lost possession and Claffey took advantage to shoot to the net from close range. Cawley followed up with another minor score from a free to give Padraig Pearse a 3-point interval lead.

After Cawley and Carey exchanged points in the opening few moments Kevin Madden put just two points between the teams with a fine score. However, Martin O’Grady, who had been superb in the fullback position, lost possession in his territory and allowed Claffey to take advantage and drive in a goal from close range to put five points between the sides. Parnells continued to fight back but further points from Cawley and Tommy Gee ensured Padraig Pearse a deserving 6-point victory.

Cu Chulainn 4-16, Erin’s Own 2-7

A strong fourth-quarter performance enabled Cu Chulainn to build up a 19 point margin at the end of a most entertaining Guinness hurling championship game against Erin’s Own. While there is no doubt that the best team won the contest, the wide winning margin does not do justice to the excellent challenge provided by Erin’s Own. Strengthened by the inclusion of Tipperary intercounty player Liam McGrath, who had a personal scoring tally of 2-4, Erin’s Own were in this match with a chance until the beginning of the fourth quarter. Only two points separated the teams at the interval and there was no more than four points between them throughout the first half. Feature of the game was the excellent goalkeeping of Erin’s Own’s Patrick Slattery and Brendan McNamara of Cu Chulainn. Many of their saves from point-blank range can best be described as spectacular.

Main contributors to Cu Chulainn’s success were half forwards, Ollie O’Connor (Kilkenny) and Eddie Brady (Galway). Between them, they accounted for 2-10 of their team’s score.

The game started at a fast pace and Slattery’s talents were called upon in the early stages when he made two breathtaking saves from Brady within a ten second period before Brady decided to send his third shot over the bar. After Cu Chulainn went into a four point lead McGrath narrowed the gap to a single point when he scored a great goal at the end of the first quarter. The 3-point margin was restored when O’Connor and Darragh Quinn pointed. Within minutes the game was tied for the first and only time when McGrath goaled from a penalty. Erin’s Own were denied the opportunity to take the lead when a point blank shot by Liam Foley was brilliantly saved by McNamara. In the late stages of the half, O’Connor and Tommy Farrell sent over points to give Cu Chulainn a 2-point interval lead.

Both teams exchanged points in the early stages of the second half but Erin’s Own lost chances to take the lead when two close in frees were sent wide. The course of the game took a sudden change when what had been a very solid Erin’s Own defense seemed to collapse at the end of the third quarter. A mix-up in the fullback line allowed O’Connor in for an easy goal which set the stage for a one-sided fourth quarter. Further goals by Devlin and David Lougheny contributed to the wide margin at the sound of the referee’s full-time whistle.

Padraig Pearse 2-10, John McBrides 2-3

A strong first-half display by Padraig Pearse with the aid of a slight wind contributed to their deserved victory over McBrides in the Guinness Junior Football Championship. Thanks to a brilliant display by right half forward, John Moore, who scored a game total of eight points, and a solid defense, Padraig Pearse notched 1-5 in the opening half while confining McBrides to a single point. The winners shot into an early 4-point lead as a result of two minor scores from Moore and Charlie Tanny and a goal by Tanny. Joe Lyons scored McBrides lone point in the 28th minute before Mossy Lyons pointed to give the Pearse a 7-point interval lead.

Moore added two more points in the early stages of the second half and then McBrides came more into the game following a fine goal by Mike McDonagh. They continued to attack and were rewarded when Frankie Carr scored a marvelous goal from almost the 50-yard-line. During this great McBride spell, Jim Ronan and Joe Lyons added two minor scores to narrow the gap to a single point. However, a Brian McMahon goal in the 23rd minute reversed the tide and Moore added a couple of points in the closing minutes to ensure a Padraig Pearse victory.

Erin’s Rovers 2-16 McBrides 1-2

Chicago women’s football champions Erin’s Rovers took their step in defense of their title with an impressive victory over a much-improved McBrides team. While they won by a wide margin, the Rovers had to avail of all their vast resources in the second half to overcome a surprisingly tough challenge from their opponents.

McBrides, who suffered some embarrassing defeats early in the season put on an excellent first half display and deserved their 2-point lead at the interval, 1-2 to 0-3. Their goal came from Maria Coakley while Amy Bayer notched the two points. However, the second half was a different story as the Rovers were in total control. In addition to keeping McBrides scoreless to put 2-13 on the board to go out easy winners in the end. Their goal scorers were Debbie Siefert and Mary McLoughlin.


The Philadelphia Divisional Board announces that the American League will start July 12, sponsored by Guinness, at Cardinal O’Doherty High School, Northeast Philadelphia.

1 p.m., Junior, Kevin Barry’s vs. Donegal

2:15 p.m., Intermediate, Derry vs. Tyrone

3:30 p.m., Senior, Donegal vs. Kevin Barry’s

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese