OLDEST IRISH AMERICAN NEWSPAPER IN USA, ESTABLISHED IN 1928
Category: Archive

New York GAA confident of home tie

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

By Pierce O’Reilly

New York GAA president Monty Maloney said this week that he is confident that Roscommon will travel to Gaelic Park for the upcoming Championship clash with the home side.

Maloney has had intense negotiations with Connaught Council representatives over the last two weeks and is at present preparing a package deal for the visiting team.

"Nothing is written in stone as of yet, but things are looking good for New York," he said. "We’ve traveled twice already to play Mayo and Galway and it’s our right to get a home tie now".

Next year’s championship is unique in so far as all losing teams get a second chance to re-enter the championship at a later stage. There will be 29 extra games in the new open draw and if New York fail to attract Roscommon to Gaelic Park, it is unlikely that they will travel to Ireland twice.

"We’re going to leave no stone unturned in our efforts to get the game played here," Maloney said. "It’s important for the game in the city to see top-notch games and players on our home field and we feel 2001 is going to be our year."

Never miss an issue of The Irish Echo

Subscribe to one of our great value packages.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese