Category: Archive

NY GAA: Kerry survive jeopardy

February 17, 2011

By Staff Reporter

In similar circumstances last week, Niall Corbett’s penalty shot was saved by a diving Kieran Traynor as Cavan went on to hand Kerry their second consecutive loss.
If Corbett was stopped again Kerry could very well be watching the 2005 SFA playoffs from the bleachers. Corbett placed his shot perfectly, low and just inside the post to Brian Donnellan’s left. The big Westmeath keeper got down well, but his deflection wasn’t enough to keep Corbett’s shot from crossing the goal line and pulling Kerry within 1-7 to 1-4 at the break.
Westmeath had dominated an out-of-synch Kerry 15 in the first half led by full forward Derry O’Brien. The Galway sanction rattled the Kerry net with a great goal off his first touch after just two minutes. Westmeath followed with very good points from Sean Roche and O’Brien.
Kerry’s sideline team were quick to see the threat that O’Brien posed and shifted Corbett onto the Westmeath dangerman. The Kingdom began to pull their way back into the match led by Walsh and third midfielder Don Murphy, who can play well just about anywhere on the pitch.
Kerry pulled within 1-4 to 0-4 before Westmeath pulled away with two O’Brien points and another from Vinny Gavin off a fine O’Brien pass and one from Dave Fitzgerald put Kerry in that 1-7 to 0-4 hole.
Kerry were a determined outfit on the restart and midfielder Mike Bishop opened the scoring with a Kerry point. Kerry’s second point brought them within a point, but it also set in motion a controversy that seemed to derail Westmeath.
Amid a flurry of substitutions on both sides that saw Tom Williams and Tom Quinn check in for Westmeath and Stephen Flynn and Gerry Carroll enter for Kerry, Carroll pointed a free after joining the fray. Westmeath did not have Carroll on their list and sought clarification from referee Dave Ryan, as is their right.
An ID card was eventually produced and it matched the pre-game photograph. Carroll was deemed legit and although Westmeath remained dubious, the match resumed. Kerry got a great point from Donnacha Walsh on the resumption and Stephen Flynn equalized after strong set up work from the suddenly controversial Carroll.
Westmeath wanted to know why such a good player was left so long on the sideline. Kerry replied that Carroll would lose his junior eligibility and they need for him in next Sunday’s JFA quarter final. Westmeath were in disarray and didn’t score until Gavin thumped a point from a sideline ball from over 40 yards. It would be Westmeath’s only point of the second half.
The winner came from the boot of super sub Carroll with a well taken free from 45 yards. Westmeath were running out chances and when Walsh soared to make a huge catch in the waning moments, Kerry were through, while Westmeath wee merely finished.
Man of the Match: Donnacha Walsh.
Kerry: Finbarr Flood, Niall Corbett (1-0), Derek Riney, Anthony Glackin, Pa Murphy, Eoghan Lawlor, Collie Fearon, Donnacha Walsh (0-1), Mike Bishop (0-1), Danny Downey (0-1), Paul McCarthy, Paudie Mulvihill, Dermot Foley, John Crowley (0-2, 2 fr), Don Murphy (0-1) Subs: Gerry Carroll (0-2, 2 fr), Stephen Flynn (0-1), Dave McSweeney.
Westmeath: Brian Donnellan, Jimmy O’Flynn, Ciaran Walsh, David Bailie, Justin O’Halloran, Pat Coyne, Barry Smyth, Vinny Gavin (0-2, 1 sl), Brian Murphy, Sean Roche (0-1), Keith Hennessey, Eoin Wall, Derek Costello, Derry O’Brien (1-3, 1 fr), David Fitzgerald (0-2) Subs: Tom Quinn, Tom Williams.
Referee: Dave Ryan.

Offaly hold off Connecticut

Offaly 3-14 Connecticut State 2-16
Senior Hurling

Connecticut State earned a free 21-yards from the Offaly goal just before the full time buzzer sounded. The defending Senior Hurling Champions trailed 3-14 to 2-15, just a two-point deficit. Bonny Kennedy, so dangerous in these situations, had just been substituted.
Yet there was no scramble on the Connecticut sideline to get Bonny back into the match to try for the winning goal. Instead a teammate, perhaps Cyril Donnellan, stepped up and calmly took his point. The reason for the uncertainty of the free taker’s identity is that Connecticut were wearing their jerseys inside out to avoid a clash with Offaly’s similar strip.
Why Connecticut passed up a game-winning goal try for a meaningless point is another question. Both teams were already qualified for the SH semi-finals. If Offaly were to win, the semi-final would be a replay of this match, which of course it now is.
A Connecticut win would match State with New Jersey/Kilkenny by virtue of the combo’s win over Galway on Saturday night. The inescapable conclusion as the ball sailed over the Offaly crossbar is that Connecticut preferred playing Offaly in the semi-final and avoiding New Jersey/Kilkenny. The match leading up to the climax had been well played, but lacking in bite.
Two first half goals from Offaly center forward Shane Cunningham and one from Niall Moran got Offaly rolling, but it was the play of the weekender Moran that stood out. The Limerick county star gave a skillful display and Cunningham’s first goal came after a long carry and pinpoint pass from Moran hit him in full stride.
Connecticut goals from Cyrill Donnellan and Mike Broderick kept the match close and Offaly’s lead was only 0-1, 3-7 to 2-9 at the short buzzer.
Offaly kept their nose in front as the clock wound down. Then Connecticut had their chance. But much like a baseball pitcher intentionally walking a batter to pitch another presumably weaker one, Connecticut elected to avoid New Jersey/Kilkenny.
Both hurling semi-finals are set for September 11, when Connecticut’s choice will be put to the test.
Man of the Match: Niall Moran.
Offaly: Alan Gleason, Matt Mitchell, Barry Smyth, Adrian Guinan, Barry Smyth, Adrian Guinan, Niall Marshall, Paul Murphy, Niall Moran (1-8), Kevin McKay (0-1), Leon Dunigan, Shane Cunningham (2-1), Fergal Phelan, Colin White (0-2), Cathal Curtin (0-2) Subs: Joe Cunningham, John McGinley.
Connecticut State: Tim Cullen, Billy Dwyer, Brendan Dooley, Niall Callahan, Conor Crotty, Tom Fox, Mike Broderick (1-2), Bernard Callahan, Bonny Kennedy (0-9, 8 fr), Ollie O’Neill, Seamus Kelly, Cyrill Donnellan (1-3, 1 fr), Keith Hennessey (0-2).
Referee: John Hennessey.

Clare run away with game

Clare 3-15 Leitrim 2-10
Senior Football Div. A

Follow us on social media

Keep up to date with the latest news with The Irish Echo

A determined Clare side secured their place in the SFA playoffs with a comprehensive victory over Leitrim, who now find their season ended.
Two goals from corner forward Paddy McNamee and a third from Mike Keaveney staked the Banner to a 3-5 to 0-2 lead with just 15 minutes gone. McNamee first set the tone as the cornerman out jumped the Leitrim keeper and a defender, despite giving away several inches to each.
Mike Keaveney got Clare’s second goal after he combined with Michael Slowey to dispossess the Leitrim defense, before his left-footed looper found the Leitrim net.
McNamee’s second came when he perfectly anticipated the break from Jason Killeen’s long ball for Michael Slowey. When the ball hit the Gaelic Park turf McNamee was first to it and he gave Kieran Potter no chance with a perfectly placed shot.
The Leitrim defense was being torn asunder by a hungry group of Clare forwards who were being well supplied by midfielders Jason Killeen and Eric Bradley and an attack minded halfback line led by Martin Slowey.
Leitrim full forward Billy Harte sparked a late rally with a fantastic 30-yard goal that seemed to catch Evan Byrne off guard in the Clare goal.
Some very good football was played by both teams in the closing stages of the half with excellent points from Conor Brosnan and Paul Murray, Leitrim countered by fine scores from brothers Michael and Martin Slowey to set the half way score at 3-9 to 1-4 to Clare.
Leitrim were better in the second half and Clare got a bit complacent with their big lead as Leitrim pulled within 3-13 to 2-7 on Kieran Keaveney’s goal. “Elvis” was alert on the rebound, after Byrne superbly stopped Harte’s piledriver.
Substitute Danny O’Sullivan, and John Walsh, sprung from cornerback and now playing midfield, were leading the Leitrim revival along with the always energetic Paul Murray.
Leitrim worked hard but that first half deficit left them too big a hill to climb and so their season is over while Clare advance to the SFA semi-final.
Man of the Match: Paddy McNamee.
Clare: Evan Byrnes, Phil Wickham, Marty Meehan, Rory Sweeney, Richie Keane, Kevin Newell, Martin Slowey (0-2), Eric Bradley, Jason Killeen, Mike Keaveney (1-3, 1 fr), Ronan Garvey (0-3, 3 fr), Gary Dowd, Mike Hogan (0-2), Michael Slowey (0-3, 3 fr), Paddy McNamee (2-2) Sub: Paddy Hogan, Joe Egan.
Leitrim: Kieran Potter, John Walsh, Aiden Power, Kevin Fitzpatrick, Michael Griffin, Fergal Griffin, Niall McGuire, Noel O’Donovan, Kieran Power (0-1), Paul Murray (0-3), Alan McFadden, (0-2, 1 fr), Conor Brosnan (0-2), James McFadden, Billy Harte (1-2, 2 fr), Kieran Keaveney (1-0) Sub: Danny O’Sullivan.
Referee: Tom Fahey.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese