Category: Archive

Some key dates in the 30 years of the Troubles

February 15, 2011

By Staff Reporter

Oct. 5, 1968: First clash between civil rights marchers and RUC in Derry.

July 14, 1969: First death of the troubles when a 70-year-old farmer, believed to be an onlooker, is struck in melee outside Dungiven Orange Hall in County Derry.

Aug 12-14, 1969: British troops deployed after rioting in Derry and Belfast.

Jan. 11, 1970: Provisional and Official split in Sinn Fein after row about defense of Catholic areas in the North and participation in London, Dublin and Belfast parliaments.

Aug. 9, 1971: Internment. Fifteen die and 300 arrested.

September 1971: UDA set up as main Loyalist paramilitary organization.

Sign up to The Irish Echo Newsletter

Jan. 30, 1972: Derry’s Bloody Sunday. British army kills 13.

March 24, 1972: Stormont abolished by British government after 51 years of Protestant-dominated power and direct rule starts.

July 21, 1972: Bloody Friday. IRA kills nine with bombs in Belfast.

Nov. 21, 1973: Sunningdale accord introduces power-sharing executive.

May 17, 1974: Car bombs in Dublin and Monaghan kill 31.

May 28, 1974: Loyalist strike brings down power-sharing executive.

May 1, 1975: Elections to Northern Ireland constitutional convention.

April 9, 1981: Bobby Sands, leader of the hunger strikes, wins seat in Westminster election.

Oct. 20, 1982: Sinn Fein runs candidates in Northern Ireland assembly election and wins more than 10 percent of vote. SDLP and Sinn Fein boycott assembly.

Nov. 15, 1985: Garret FitzGerald and Margaret Thatcher sign Anglo-Irish Agreement.

Nov. 11, 1987: Eleven die in IRA bombing of Enniskillen Poppy Day commemoration.

April 1991: Talks begin under chairmanship of Sir Ninian Stephens. They break down in July.

October 1993: IRA bomb explodes prematurely on Shankill Road killing 10 including the bomber. A week later loyalist gunmen kill seven in retaliation in pub at Greysteel, Co. Derry.

Dec. 15, 1993: Albert Reynolds and John Major signal talks role for Sinn Fein if violence ends.

Aug. 31, 1994: IRA announces first cease-fire, followed by UDA and UVF several weeks later.

February 1996: Canary Wharf bombing in London kills two and ends IRA cease-fire.

June 10, 1996: Senator George Mitchell begins multi-party talks. Sinn Fein refused entry because of continued violence.

July 20, 1997: Second IRA cease-fire.

Sept. 15, 1997: Sinn Fein join multi-party peace talks.

April 10, 1998: Belfast Agreement signed.

May 22, 1998: Joint referenda to accept or reject Belfast Agreement held North and South.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese