Category: Archive

Cuchulainn hurlers rout Harry Bolands

February 16, 2011

By Staff Reporter

Senior Hurling

Cuchulainn 3-17, Harry Bolands 5-3

A great display by full-forward Liam Hogan, who scored four of his side’s five goals was not enough for Harry Bolands to overcome a well balanced and hungry Cuchulainn team Sunday at Chicago Gaelic Park.

Cuchulainn are now strong favorites to retain the senior hurling title. A superb display of positive hurling, highlighted by some magnificent point shooting by Cuchulainn early in the game, almost contributed to a landslide and a no contest. In all fairness to Harry Bolands, who were a lifeless squad in the opening quarter and trailed 2-7 to 0-0 after 12 minutes, they rallied with great heart to prevent a rout and make a game out it.

Inspired by a very strong halfback line of the three Hoyne brothers, Alan, Dermott and Paul, the Bolands enjoyed a great spell at the beginning of the second quarter, scoring three goals without reply, all coming from Hogan. Play was very even for the remainder of the half with both teams exchanging points, leaving the score at the break, Cuchulainn 2-8, Harry Bolands 3-1. The Cuchulainn’s two goals came from Brendan Gantley and Dan O’Brien.

After the Bolands narrowed the gap to 3 points with a minor score from Gary Hurley in the early stages of the second half, Cuchulainn regained control. They scored three unanswered points, two coming from accurate free-taker Pat Fitzgerald and the other by substitute Conor Earley. A fatal blow to the Bolands was a marvelous goal scored by Cuchulainn full-forward Enda Flannery in the 40th minute. Further scores by the champions put 14 points between the teams before Harry Bolands generated a late rally that produced two goals by Hogan and Pat Stephens just before the final whistle.

Follow us on social media

Keep up to date with the latest news with The Irish Echo

Senior Football

St. Brendan’s 4-10, Parnells 2-10

What seemed in the first half to be heading for a cakewalk for the senior football champions, St. Brendan’s, turned into a most exciting second half as the underdogs, Parnells, fought back magnificently. The Brendan’s completely overpowered Parnells in the opening half, resulting in a 4-8 to 0-6 interval score. Although Parnells battled away bravely in the second period, there was little doubt about the game’s outcome.

After Paul McGrady pointed for Parnells in the game’s opening moments, St. Brendan’s scored 3-3 without reply, with their goals coming from Mike Cahill, John McDonald and Rory O’Donoghue (penalty). Parnells responded with points from Cormac Nelligan and Davey Shields, but a second goal by McDonald seemed to finish the game as a contest.

Parnells were a transformed team on the turnover. With Nelligan and Neill Gallagher in control at centerfield, the forwards received ample supply of the ball, scoring 1-2 without reply in the third quarter. Barry Reilly was the goal scorer, while Mark Polly and Shields notched the points. Keith Gilesan scored Parnells’ second goal midway through the final quarter to put just two goals between the sides. The Brendans stemmed the tide in the final five minutes in which both teams exchanged points to end the game.

In a local cup contest St. Brigid’s continued their dominance over Erin’s Rovers in women’s football with a 5-11 to 1-7 victory. St. Brigid’s goals came from Maraid Madigan (3) and Clair Manion (2). Mary McLoughlin was the Rovers’ top scorer with 4 points, while Sharon Mulhern, Stephanie Murphy, Ann Burke and Isabelle Kiernan each scored a point.

Other Articles You Might Like

Sign up to our Daily Newsletter

Click to access the login or register cheese